We all live very busy lives. Whether you work full time, have a long commute, run your own business, or have children it has becomes impossible to find time for yourself, let alone time for self-care.
I fell into the trap too. “I’m too tired”, “It’s too late, I just want to relax and have dinner”, or the “I’ll start on Monday”. I went from spending at least an hour on myself a day to nothing at all. I’d workout religiously, take great care of my skin, eat healthy, and find time to destress. Sadly, none of these are a priority in my life anymore.
I try to workout, eat healthy, and do little things for myself, but I find that I don’t have the energy or desire to do any of this. It’s not okay! As I try to re-discover myself I want to share some helpful tips on how to schedule in more self-care.
1. Schedule it, literally!
Come up with some small items that you can start to literally add into your calendar. Treat it a business meeting or appointment that you have to do.
2. Start Small
A lot of failure comes from having goals that are far beyond our reach. If you want to find more time to exercise, start by adding 2-3 days a week. Try something you once loved to do. Physically activity does not mean physical torture! Find an activity you know makes you happy and do it for 30-60 minutes on those days.
3. Build a Routine
Whether you want to obtain exercise goals, re-set with meditation, or just make skin-care a habit, you need to building a routine. We are all creatures of habit, so make this part of your weekly rituals. For example, start your “get ready for bed” routine 5 minutes earlier. In those 5 minutes you will find the time to apply those 1017 layers of skincare products and feel fresh for bed. Eventually, this will become a habit and you’ll be upset if you miss it.
4. Double Up
Still having a hard time fitting yourself into your schedule? Double book yourself.
– Take a walk during your lunch break.
– Instead of a coffee date, pick up to go cups and head to a park.
– Put your face mask on while you clean up the kitchen post dinner.
– Watching your favorite tv show? Pick up or do light cleaning up during commercials.
– No Commercials because you are binge watching Netflix, put in your teeth whitening strips and keep bingeing.
– Cooking a meal? Spend some time prepping a few more meals while you are at it. (If you are already chopping veggies, chop some that will be needed for tomorrow dinner too)
– Add a few extra minutes to your dog walks. 10 minute walks, 3-4 times a day, you’ve already achieved 30-40 minutes of physical activity.
Give one or all of these a try!
I will be scheduling my workouts into my calendar so I have a constant reminder. Additionally, I will be adding in a beauty routine for my skin and nails during my relaxation time at time.
I would love to hear your suggestions/tips on this topic. In addition, I would love to know if any of the above worked for you!